Length: 108 Miles
America’s Byway.: White Mountain Trail
Travel Time: 2.5 Hours
This winter take a romantic drive through the frosty White Mountains and follow New Hampshire’s National Scenic Byway – the White Mountain Trail. Visitors along this Byway will appreciate the stark contrast of milky white snow-capped mountains against brilliant bright blue skies. This New England Byway winds through the White Mountain National Forest and two state parks, Franconia Notch and Crawford Notch, offering travelers a variety of recreational activities including alpine and cross country skiing, snowmobiling, sight-seeing and much more. The White Mountain Trail is an ideal escape from the city for an uninterrupted romantic weekend for two.
Places to Go
• Attitash Bear Peak: The newly renovated Attitash Bear Peak is located just off the Byway in Bartlett. This ski resort boasts 70 trails, 12 lifts and a 143-room resort. Cross-country skiers will delight in Attitash’s 273 acres of diverse terrain encompassing two interconnected mountain peaks. Those looking for romance will enjoy nearby Bear Notch Skiing Touring Center’s guided moonlight tours.
• White Mountain National Forest: On a frosty winter day, bundle up and take a short hike along Falling Waters Trail. This ridge climbs next to waterfalls all the way up the mountainside. Visitors will enjoy rare wildlife sightings and scenes of a winter wonderland, complete with snow-capped mountains and clear water lakes. Don’t want to brave the chilly weather? Grab a cup of hot chocolate and take a leisurely auto tour through the forest.
• Majestic Theater: Snuggle up to your sweetheart and catch a movie at the Majestic Theater in Conway Village. This 400-seat theater boasts 1939 art-deco décor, plush velvet curtains and state-of-the-art theater technology. Before or after the movie, enjoy a romantic dinner at one of North Conway’s finest restaurants – 1785 Inn Dining.
Places to Stay
• Farm By the River Bed & Breakfast: Offering winter “sleigh and ski” or “romance” packages, the Farm By the River Bed & Breakfast is the perfect winter escape from the city. Guests can enjoy horseback riding through the woods, snowshoeing, or take a romantic sleigh ride for two. Located along the Byway in North Conway, this unique B&B boasts nine elegant rooms, working fireplaces and two-person jacuzzis. Visitors can spend their days inside in front of a cozy fireplace or venture outside for cross-country skiing. Call (603) 356-2694.
• Mountain Valley Manner Bed & Breakfast: A Victorian style home located in Conway, this B&B is a short drive from Conway Village and numerous ski parks including Mt. Washington and Attitash Bear Peak. Mountain Valley Manner features sophisticated rooms, private baths, and a full breakfast menu. To recapture the romance, call (603) 447-3988.
• Bernerhof Inn: Located along the Byway in Glen, the Bernerhof Inn offers its guests the utmost in privacy and fun. Guests here will enjoy hand-made chocolate truffles, champagne, in-room massages, candlelight dinners, and large country breakfasts just in time for a long day of winter activities. The Bernerhof Inn also provides winter packages including ski passes and snowshoeing outings. Call (603) 383-9132.
• March 17: Visit Bretton Woods, New Hampshire’s largest ski area, and take part in the Moonlight Cross Country Ski/Snowshoe Tour and Sleigh Ride. Enjoy a romantic horse drawn sleigh ride complete with apple cider and hot chocolate. Reservations are required. Call (603) 278-3320 for more information.
America's Byways. are a collection of distinct and diverse roads, designated by the U.S. Secretary of Transportation. Find out more about the White Mountain Trail and 95 other designated America’s Byways. at www.byways.org or by calling 1-800-4-BYWAYS (1-800-429-9297). For more information about itineraries, visit www.byways.org or www.seeamerica.org
© National Scenic Byways